Sunday, July 11, 2010

Christmas and Beyond

My surgical recovery took me through Christmas but I don't really remember anything extraordinary happening. It was a normal, nice Christmas. I went back, unwillingly, to work. I think by then I had made up my mind to "retire". I'm not old enough to retire, nor am I eligible for benefits, but I was done. Toast. Burned out. Unmotivated. Depressed. I'd been doing the same work for 25 years. No real changes in the tasks or anything. After all the drama I experienced in the last few years, I hoped a change in location and products would help revitalize my interest. It was helpful for a short time but not nearly long enough. After much nagging at home, I finally got the a-ok and quit. It was the happiest day I'd had in years. I felt no sadness, longing or regret at doing so. I wondered if I would second guess myself but all I felt was relief. Tears of relief actually, when making my way to my car the day I officially did it. While I do miss certain people, I haven't thought about the place or the job at all. And guess what? (See next post above.)

No comments:

Map Me