Sunday, July 11, 2010

Review Never let Me Go


So I read Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. He's a famous, award winning author. I'd heard good things about the book and I love a good dystopian story. I thought I would find something creepy like The Handmaid's Tale or something disturbing like Children of Men.
**Spoilers from here to end. Highlight text to read.**
I didn't dislike this book, it kept me turning the pages. I was fine with the writers style and storytelling, the slow reveal of the truth that the characters were born and raised as clones outside society for the sole purpose of organ donation until they give up all vital organs and die, worked for me even though it's easy to guess well beforehand what the twist will be, and the concept itself is chilling. I just never came to care for the people involved in this story. Another reviewer said that the characters never evolved and I do agree with that but even more for me, they weren't likable. To me they were deceptive, petty, superficial, unmotivated, uninterested in others or outside events. Why would anyone bother remaining friends with that nasty Ruth? Kathy's narrative seemed to show she attempted some understanding but she never seemed to quite manage it or learn from it. How could she live for more than ten years outside the school and not ask questions, learn about the situation and who they were and their place in that society? And society did seem to despise them and were subsequently afraid of them. How could Miss Emily's revelation be a surprise? And even then, Kathy didn't react at all. Had the school really drilled emotionless acceptance into all the students? Or were they really soulless? Does soullessness imply emotionless? These are the kinds of questions I was expecting Ishiguro to address one way or another. But he didn't. I couldn't decide if this lack of emotion was intentional on the author's part, showing them as perhaps, truly soulless because of the cloning, or if the characters were that weakly written, but I want to believe it was intentional and that I "got" it. But since there was no real place for discussion of the topics of cloning and souls to provide a clue, or for the societal attitudes within the narrator's frame of reference, I'm sorry that I have to conclude that they were just poorly written.
**End of spoilers.**

No comments:

Map Me